|Today in History|
Select another date
First court was convened at Hanna's Town
On April 6, 1773, court was first convened at Hanna’s Town, with Robert Hanna serving as presiding judge. At this time, Westmoreland County comprised all of southwestern Pennsylvania. The court created the townships, laid out public roads, established dates for the popular election of magistrates and other key public officials, granted licenses, set fees and applied the law – bringing order to the often chaotic environment of the western Pennsylvania frontier.
Donegal was another of the original townships into which the county was divided by our court, at its first sitting, at Robert Hanna's, April 6, 1773. This has always been the name which designated this portion of the country, even while it was included within the limits of Bedford county. Its original boundaries were much larger than at present, for it then embraced the greater portion of Ligonier Valley. It was a very important township in the early historic days, when Fort Ligonier was one of the two all important places here in southwestern Pennsylvania. The first officers elected were John Cavenot, (who was probably the ancestor of the Cavens), as constable; Samuel Shannon and Edward McDowell as overseers of the poor; and George Glenn as supervisor.